Monday, January 7, 2008

A sartorial tipping point

This weekend, B and I went to a wedding, and I experienced none of the pre-wedding, "What am I going to wear?!" panic. I think I've reached a new milestone in my life.

In the past, the lead-up to formal events, including weddings and company parties, was stressful and difficult. I'd look for weeks, sometimes months, for an acceptable outfit. The search was taxing, but I always ended up with the right outfit.

There were missteps along the way, certainly--the episode of the pink dress comes to mind. A few years back, LS and I were shopping for dresses to wear to our company holiday party. She picked up an appropriate black dress with gold tones. I left the store with a frothy pink confection that would have made any eight-year-old wannabe-princess jealous. Luckily, I came to my senses before the party, and the dress never saw the light of day (and it is still in my closet, waiting for the right Halloween occasion to make its debut).

I've also taken advantage of sales and have bought dressy outfits even when I don't have an occasion in mind at which to wear them. An occasion always arises, and then I don't have to worry about what to wear. In fact, I've acquired so many semi-formal costumes that are appropriate for weddings and other special events that I've reached the all-important sartorial tipping point. When I receive an invitation to a wedding or dressy party or gala (ok, that last one isn't likely, but you never know), I don't have to run to the mall in a panic--I just reach into my closet and choose the outfit that I like best.

Speaking of the wedding--when you board the post-wedding bus and the grandmother of the bride says, "Oh, the dancers are here!" should you wonder if your dancing interpretation of "Hot in Herre" was perhaps too enthusiastic? I guess we'll never know.