Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hidden vacation costs

Timing your vacation so that you finish the last of your fresh food before you leave is difficult, maybe downright impossible. We haven't been to the grocery store in close to two weeks. We thought that our last food purchase would last until we leave. Perhaps we were wrong.

Last night, our empty cupboards (and no motivation to cook) sent us to a local burrito restaurant. Lunch was a scraped-together pasta/sauce combination, but we wanted better for dinner and ended up spending more than we probably should have at the local primo grocery store, considering we got only chicken wings, guacamole, and sushi.

You expect to dine out while on vacation. But the pre-vacation dining out, from the time when you run out of food until you leave, is an unexpected expense. Last year, before our wedding, I refused to eat anything that wasn't home cooked in the days leading up to the big day out of fear of food poisoning (have I mentioned I'm a bit of a control freak?). Apparently, I've loosened up, not to the point that I'm loose but maybe I'm closer to the rest of the population.

And here we can see one of the many benefits of being a control freak.

1 comment:

csa said...

Yeah, but it beats having all the food go bad when you're out. Remember you packed snacks! I was still finding beef jerky in my sleeping bag for months after our San Fransico adventure...