Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Feeling chic in Florence

The thing about Florence is that it's an intimidating city. Designer clothing stores abound, and the prices of the deliciousness in the window prevents you from even entering the store. And the cars, while modestly sized, are fast--really fast. I spent the first two days clinging to buildings as they sped past within arm's reach. "One driver's bad turn," I thought, "And I'm going to get squished."

Luckily, I didn't get squished, and I got over my intimidation. A heavenly meal of homemade pasta with a pink cream sauce made with bacon and mushrooms helped me to appreciate the city, and I was sad to leave after our 5 nights of Florentine fun.

Here are the highlights from the Florence leg of the trip:

* Seeing the David at the Accademia. Museums aren't my favorite pasttime, but B likes them, so I try to be a good sport and go to as many as I can handle. Seeing the David, however, was awe-inspiring. I could have lived without seeing hundreds of versions of the Madonna and child at other museums, though.

*Eating gelato every day. Most gelato stores in Florence offer as many as 7 different cups, ranging in price from 1-2 euro all the way up to 7 euro--or more. One evening we happened into a store and ordered flavors without choosing a size. I should have known by the size of the cup that the girl filled that we weren't getting the bargain 2 euro servings. She rang up the bill and we were staggered by the 18 euro total. We enjoyed our $27 ice creams, skipped dinner, and remembered from our France trip (and my 9 euro Orangina) never to order something until you see a price.

* Shopping at the outdoor markets. No, we couldn't afford to shop in most stores, but we could shop on the streets. B got a leather laptop bag, I got a purse, and we both got gloves. Our bargaining skills are improving but probably still have a long way to go.

Here are a few of my fav photos from Florence.

Our hotel. Five stars are the way to go.


The view from our hotel room--wow!

I fell in love with those little smart cars...
B in front of the Duomo.

Me in front of the Duomo.

We ate a lot of pasta in Italy...


I drank my fair share of hot chocolate.

There was a lot of watch window shopping.

The Arno is in the background.

Here's the Arno during the day.

B was mildly obsessed with this boar. He even got a figurine for his desk at work.

No comments: