Friday, July 17, 2009

Junk food: Not the treat it once was

Once upon a time, junk food such as chips, cookies, and candy was a big treat, probably because my access to it was so limited during my younger years. However, times have changed, as I learned last night. I got home and attacked a package of gummi bears that we got in Spain (I know, I know - I've shown restraint for this long so I don't know why things changed so suddenly). After eating about half the package, I felt no pleasure and only pain and regret. Junk food is supposed to be a guilty pleasure, but it just makes me feel sick.

I'm not sure when I started falling out of love with junk food. I think the change was gradual. After college, when I was living on my own and working some ferociously long hours, the unlimited soda fridge and chips rack tempted me on many a day, and the occasional bacon McGriddle made many a Friday morning easier to get through. But eventually I cut the soda (and McGriddles) and realized that I felt much better.

While B's and my early relationship involved a lot of restaurant food, we slowly started cooking more and using fresher ingredients. Now the highest part of our grocery bill is from produce. On any given day, we each eat yogurt, three or four pieces of fruit, sandwiches for lunch, and a vegetable-heavy dinner (and the occasional ice cream snack - I'm no saint). I'm trying out a reduced-meat diet (and I don't mean that word in a weight-loss way) and am trying to eat meat at only one meal per day; so far, I'm really happy with how I feel.

But all of these fruits and vegetables have my body spoiled, and she's just not sure what to do when I throw half a package of gummi bears or a box of peanut M&Ms at her. I can't say that I'll never eat so many bears in one sitting, but I will definitely think twice about it next time I am tempted.

No comments: