Saturday, February 20, 2010

Banff update

It's been a while since my last Banff update, but my lack of updates is not an indication that I have not been planning. (But then, you know me well enough to know that.)

Here's the process that I usually follow when planning a vacation:


  1. Identify all of the attractions that we would like to visit in each location. I usually copy the information from the guidebook and include location, cost, hours, and other helpful information. This task is finished.
  2. Based on our interests in each area, decide how many nights we will stay in each location. This task is also finished. I would much rather explore a location semi-thoroughly than visit many places and spend hours traveling each day, so most of our stays are 3- or 4-nighters.
  3. Research and book hotels. This task is also finished. I'm used to staying in larger hotels with lax cancellation policies, but not so with these smaller hotels. For instance, one hotel demands a $25 fee if we cancel at any time, even months in advance. I sympathize with smaller, independently owned hotels and understand that they can't stay in business if they allow last-minute cancellations, but I think that such a cancellation fee is as unjust as the so-called "resort fees" that you encounter at some of the bigger hotels.
  4. Scope out a rough itinerary for each day. I used to plan days more thoroughly (schedule and everything) but now leave more flexibility. (See--people can change!) I've planned all of the legs except Jasper.
  5. Research restaurants in each location. For this trip, I've been using the guidebook (Moon's Canadian Rockies) and tripadvisor. I didn't used to perform this step, but finding a restaurant is frequently a source of stress on vacation, and having a list from which to choose alleviates stress when hungry bellies are a-growling.
  6. Plan transportation. I have a rental car booked (through 2 companies actually) but I need to do further research. Some rental companies impose mileage restrictions if you leave the province from which you rent. We plan to visit both Alberta and Britich Columbia and are not interested in calculating miles to avoid fees.
Most of the itin is now planned. I still have to book a few activities, including a bus to Lake O'Hara (apparently amazing, though I'm concerned that there are no bathrooms) and an Oh Canada Eh! dinner show (sometimes I can't resist camp). But all in all, we're in good shape.

No comments: