Friday, February 8, 2013

Time and balance

It's been a while. I've still been here. I just haven't had much free time for blogging.

I've noticed that time moves further and further to the top of my problems list when I feel like I don't have enough time. Of course, everyone has enough time. We just haven't all figured out how to do everything we want in the time we have each day, week, or month.

At the end of 2012, I identified two areas in which I wanted to spend more time. First of all - and this should come as no surprise to any mom - I wanted to have more time in which to do whatever I wanted. I wanted more time to read, to blog, to see friends, to do nothing. My current schedule doesn't allow for much of that.

My second time priority was to spend more time working. This wish might come as a surprise to those who don't enjoy their work, but I genuinely do enjoy it and my reduced working schedule has left me wanting more.

Of course, increasing my time in those areas means a decrease in time spent one-on-one with E. A few weeks ago, I increased his attendance at school from four days to five.

I've been tempted to increase Eli's school attendance for a long time, but only recently has Eli established the same sleeping schedule at home and at school. He's been having only one nap per day for two months now (woohoo, finally!), and he naps as long and as well at school and at home.

We no longer have a full (longgggg) day together during the week, but between mornings and evenings, the two of us still spend 3 hours each weekday in quality one-on-one time. I still feel like I know him as well, and I am more patient with him when we are together. (And he is no longer cranky to be stuck at home alone with Mom all day every Friday during the long, cold winter.)

The balance I'm looking for still eludes me, but part of me suspects that statement will be true for a good many years down the road. I do feel like I'm getting closer to balance, though.

No comments: