Monday, November 12, 2007

The high cost of organization

The wedding is over, and with it goes the wedding-imposed spending freeze, and I have started coming up with occasionally outrageous ways to celebrate the end of a six-month spending moratorium. Additionally, I now can focus my attention on making a cozy and comfortable home. The people at theknot.com have recognized the transition in my life and are sending, fittingly, emails from thenest.com. (For the record, I find them to be annoying but am somehow unable to unsubscribe, so I have started marking them as spam and now no longer receive them.)

One of the areas that has been bothering both B and me for a while is shoes. I know, I know--shoes? How troublesome can they really be? It depends on how many you have and the amount of space you have to store them in. I think it's safe to say that our collection far outstrips our available storage space.

We store my shoes in a rack on the back of our downstairs coat closet, but B's shoes are too big and heavy for the rack and tend to knock the rack off the door (not fun). And the closet is full of tools, coats, winter gear, and a vaccuum, so there isn't room for his shoes inside. We have an unattractive metal rack that I inherited from one of my apartments a few years ago, and it currently stores B's shoes (on the bottom shelves) and my purse and our laptop bags on the top shelf. But it's an open-air metal rack--not exactly a nice decorative accent. And the shoes get in a jumble and look messy all of the time, and it drives me crazy. We need a better solution.

I found this shoe rack online, and it's fabulous--a nice color, excellent storage capacity, and it's even lined with cedar. I checked out comparable options online, and none were as nice, though some did rival the price. The price is of course what I'm having the most trouble with. Can I really spend $250 (with shipping) on a box that only stores shoes? Is the shoe problem $250 worth of bad? And what happens when B's shoe collection exceeds capacity of the box? (Come to think of it, it maybe already has...)

Stay tuned, eager Reader, as the shoe dilemma continues.