Sunday, November 25, 2007

Quirks

At Thanksgiving dinner, my family was discussing quirks--in particular, the quirks of our spouses.

You spend a lot of time with your spouse, and after a while, you're bound to discover idiosyncrasies that were not evident when you first met. These quirks are sometimes endearing, sometimes annoying, but are almost always amusing to others.

B asked what his quirk was (or maybe he didn't, and I just offered the information). In any case--he makes piles. And then he hides them. I remember at my apartment in the city, he had a pile of mail that he was supposed to respond to. One day, the mail disappeared, and I forgot about it. It wasn't until many months later, when I was cleaning my bedroom, that I found the mail--and many other treasures--hiding underneath my bed. Every once in a while, I discover a similar pile in our condo and have to laugh about it.

I asked what my quirk was--it took him a while to think of it, but then B figured it out--I am a curmudgeonly toiletry user. It's not that I'm stingy while I'm using the products--I probably use more toothpaste with every brushing than most (and certainly brush more frequently than does the average bear), but I will hold on to the tube--and continue to squeeze out toothpaste--for days, maybe even weeks longer than most people do. It drives B crazy when he uses my bathroom in the morning and has to figure out how to extract toothpaste from my seemingly empty tube.

Stockpiling and hoarding--all in all, not very bad quirks to have.