Sunday, April 13, 2008

So much for total immersion

Maybe it's the English major in me, but I enjoy researching--a lot. I like to put my researching skills to use when I'm planning our travels.

Our lengthy French itinerary was the result of hours (days?) of reading, planning, and thinking. We also used our fabulous Netflix membership to rent movies that were set in France. I love watching movies, especially when they're set in faraway lands--I feel like I am taken away to a different world for a couple of hours. In fact, it could be argued--if one were of an arguing persuasion and were interested in winning this particular battle--that a movie helped determine the location of our honeymoon. We saw A Year in Provence several months before we got engaged and were sorely tempted to move to France and become grape farmers. Since overalls aren't really my style, we decided that a vacation to France might be a better option.

To prepare for Italy and Greece, we've got another (even longer!) itinerary in the works, and we're renting movies that were set in Italy. Three Coins in the Fountain was a bit of a yawn and focussed on Rome, which we're not even visiting. Last night's choice was The Talented Mr. Ripley, which I saw in the theater and remembered as being creepy. And creepy it was! Even creepier than I remembered, in fact. I wanted beautiful Italian vistas and found scandal, murder, and intrigue instead. I got so scared about nightmares that I had to leave 3/4 of the way through to try to take a calming shower (no nightmares, so I guess it worked).

In the future, I will be choosier about the movies that I use to immerse myself in Italian culture. In fact, it might be time for another viewing of Under the Tuscan Sun...

No comments: