Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Under my umbrella (ella, ella...)

It's been an insurance-oriented kind of month.

A couple of weeks ago, we got the ball rolling on our life insurance policies. A nurse is coming to our house tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM for mini-medical exams and blood draws, and the results, as well as our medical records, are going to determine our health levels, which will in turn determine the premiums that we will pay for our life insurance. We've been trying to eat as healthfully as we can to make sure that our blood reflects healthy, vegetable-oriented people.

After the test, I can't wait to go to Wendy's. There's a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger calling my name...

In other insurance news, yesterday I left my parents' car insurance policy and started my own with B. Because my mother cosigned my car loan with me, her name was on the title--with my maiden name. We signed the title over to my new married name, and the change necessitated new plates and a new registration (my fourth in the last 8 months). I also have to get my car inspected again (even though I just had it done in November) because I am technically a new owner. What a bunch of hogwash. Brides, beware--changing your name is not a cheap venture.

To keep our insurance simpler, we're moving our house insurance over to the same insurance company. We're also getting an umbrella policy. An umbrella sits over your vehicles and house and provides extra liability coverage if you are sued. My mother used to work for an insurance company and always emphasized the importance of insurance coverage, and getting an umbrella policy seemed like a wise decision.

We also increased our personal property insurance. When we moved in two years ago, our possessions were few, and almost all of our furniture was second-hand. Our situation has improved, and we wanted to be sure that our coverage reflected our new possessions. Adding up the numbers is difficult, and the replacement cost of B's shoes and ties alone is daunting. I no longer feel guilty about my recent Anthropologie splurges...