Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New newness! Facials, books, shoes, and more...

New experience: Getting a facial

This weekend, I got my first real facial (the qualifier is necessary because I had a "mini facial" on a cruise a few years ago, but the real deal is different--way different). Getting a facial seemed like an indulgent, pamper-iffic activity. But let me warn you, if you're looking to be pampered, a facial might not be for you.


It started out like a normal spa experience (not that I am a regular spa-goer, but it started as I expected). I was given a robe-like garment to put on, and I reclined on a heated bed under a sheet and blanket (the heated bed was awesome--can you buy them...). Then the esthetician came back and used a few potions to clean my face, and then she covered my eyes and turned on a bright light. That's when I started to wonder if I was in for the princess treatment I had been expecting.


"Your face is in great shape considering you've never had a facial," she said. I said thank you, to myself, on behalf of my prescription Retin-A, which is apparently doing its job--it doesn't hurt that it's the best non-surgical wrinkle cream you can get. "However," she continued, "We're going to have to do some extractions."


Extractions?! Yes, boys and girls, extractions are the dark side of facials, the part that no one talks about. There's nothing pamper-iffic about someone else pinching and squeezing your pores under the brightest light you've ever seen. When tears start running out of your eyes and you let out a squeal of pain, expect something along the lines of, "Oh, sorry, but that was a stubborn one!"


After the torture was over, the rest of the experience was positive, until the end, when the esthetician and I got into a tense argument over my facial cleanser. I use Neutrogena cleansing bars (the brown, glycerine-y ones), which my dermatologist--who, incidentally, went to medical school--recommended. However, the esthetician argued in earnest that his recommendation was wrong, and the bars were doing nothing good for me and might even be the cause of skin irritation. Does an esthetician know more about skin than a dermatologist? Unlikely, but I took a chance and bought some of their overpriced skin products and will report if I notice a difference. Otherwise, I'm sticking with buying my beauty products at Target.


New book: Laughter of Dead Kings, by Elizabeth Peters.

Elizabeth Peters, one of my favorite authors, has in recent years focussed on two series, one about a Victorian-era female Egyptologist and another about a modern-day 5'11'' medieval art historian. The heroines are spunky and memorable, and their leading men are dashing. This book promises to tie the two series together, and I cannot wait to read it. I've pre-ordered from Amazon and intend to take the book with me to Italy, if I can wait that long to read it. To keep me entertained in the meanwhile, I'm re-reading other books in the series. If you haven't read any of these books, you must start at the beginning of each series--Amelia (Egyptologist) has close to 20 books in her series, and this recent book is Vicky's (art historian) sixth and final. You will be thankful that you have so many to read once you get started.


New shoes: Bramble by Naot

I learned about Naot shoes from a shoe email that I receive and decided to give them a try. I was concerned that my Merrell's aren't versatile enough (read: too casual) for Italy, so I wanted to replace one pair (I have brown and black) with a dressier but still comfortable shoe. Naots got good ratings, and I found this adorable pair of Mary Janes that I couldn't resist.


I ordered a pair on Friday and received them yesterday (have I mentioned how much I love Zappos?). Unfortunately, as the website mentioned, they ran small and were tight in the toes. But I could tell that they were a winner, so I called last night to arrange an exchange, and they shipped another pair that is arriving today! Amazingly fast service, and I hope this pair is the winner. If not, Zappos offers free and fast shipping both ways, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something suitable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read this entry yesterday. Last night I got my eyebrows done at the salon in my gym. The esthetician told me I really need a facial. She was shocked that I've never had one and told me, "Oh, honey, it's just good skin care." I told her that my friend just had one and it hurt and she promised me mine won't hurt. I think I'll make an appointment for when I'm back from vacation. I'll let you know how mine goes. :)

M said...

If they don't do extractions, it won't hurt. If they do extractions, prepare yourself for pain. It's over within minutes, but while you're lying there, you start to wonder why you're paying a premium for the experience. Good luck and let me know how it goes. :)