Sunday, May 3, 2009

Adventures in bowling

Last night, B and I went bowling with a group of friends. The bowling alley, which also featured several bars, a restaurant, pool tables, video games, and at least one bachelorette party (conveniently placed in the two lanes next to us; they didn't do much bowling but they were very good at making their pitchers of Budweiser disappear).

I don't have much experience with traditional bowling; here in New England, candlepin bowling, which features little balls and tall, straight pins, is much more popular. There is added appeal in that you get 3, rather than 2, chances to knock all of your pins down. I think that I've done the "regular" kind of bowling only once, and I scored a pathetic 27. Now in defense of myself and my bowling skills (ha, ha), I have to blame my poor performance on my thumbs. You see, all of the balls that I could comfortably lift had such small finger holes that my thumb didn't fit. I was stuck bowling with the 18-pounders, which I could barely lift. I went home that night with sore wrists and a deflated ego.

Luckily, the bowling alley that we visited last night offered better options, and our lane had two 10-pounders that worked well for me. I'm not saying that I brought my bowling A-game (or rather, I'm not sure that I possess a bowling A-game), but I beat my previous all-time record and had a lot of fun.

An interesting note - we were a party of 4 girls and 4 guys, and at the start of the game, the girls were *smoking* the guys - it was pretty funny. It wasn't that we were that much awesomer; it was that we went for the lightweight balls and used technique rather than muscle to knock over pins. On the other hand, the guys went for the heaviest balls they could find and flung them down the lane as hard as they could. Sometimes that worked out for them; sometimes it didn't. But after a few rounds, they realized that the lightweight balls weren't just for girls after all.









No comments: