Monday, October 5, 2009

Ten months of hair neglect followed by a blowout

Last week I had my first haircut since last December. December! Almost ten months. When you chop off a foot of hair, some time has to pass before you're comfortable going back to the hair salon.

I usually wait until I hate my hair or can no longer brush it and then make an appointment, and this time was no exception. Luckily I can still brush it (it is only down to my shoulders, after all) but had started wearing my hair in a bun almost exclusively--never a good sign. I booked a cut and color a few weeks ago but had to wait longer than expected because my stylist was on maternity leave (something I didn't realize since I hadn't seen her since last year).

My stylist offered light scolding for waiting so long to return. She says that if you cut your hair frequently, even just a little bit, it grows faster. How does the root know what's going on at the other end? It's a mystery that someone else will have to solve. I asked the absolute longest that I could wait between cuts, expecting her to say 4 months or so. She said 8 weeks.

Does anyone who doesn't color regularly make such frequent appointments? Aside from the lengthy time commitment (last week's visit was a 3+-hour activity), the cost adds up very quickly. When I started going to my stylist, she was a junior stylist, so cuts were cheaper. However, a cut and color is more and more expensive every time I visit.

Perhaps I can aspire to visit every 4 months--that seems like a reasonable commitment (both in time and finances), though I bet I could stretch it out to 6 months without much of a difference. To return in February or April? Stay tuned, eager reader; suspense like this is difficult to handle.

Before I left the salon, I asked for a shampoo recommendation. I knew it would be pricier than the hair products that I buy at Target, but I was willing to gamble on the $15 bottle of shampoo. I left the salon with $60 worth of shampoo, conditioner, and hair oil (to be applied before and after blowdrying--I was unsure about this one but am easily persuaded when cosmetics are involved). The brand is Moroccanoil, which is screaming out for an extra space, but that's how they spell it.

I've used my new hair products twice and am sad to say that my hair-care budget is likely going to have to go up. These bottles are half the size of most drugstore brands and about four times as expensive, but after I shampoo, my hair feels the way it does after I condition it with the drugstore stuff. After I condition it, my hair is happier than it has been in a while. I'm still undecided on the hair oil, but I'll keep using it and assume it's doing what it's supposed to (whatever that is).

Of course, these new products don't mean that I can style my hair any better than I could before. If miracles like that can be bought, I suspect they cost more than $60. However, I am nothing but pleased with my new hair. Here's a pic. It looked better after I returned from the salon, so use your imagination and pretend I look like a cover model.


No comments: