Friday, December 11, 2009

Setting the bar too high?

Despite my recent brave trip to Sephora, I've never been much of a make-up person. Or, more accurately, I never really learned how to put on make-up.

But I have to wear it because when I don't, people ask me if I'm feeling ok.

I feel fine. I'm just pale, people.

So a little blush is always required to avoid people's sympathy. And while I'm at it, perhaps some powder to balance out the shine from my (SPF 15, which contributes to the paleness issue) moisturizer.

And recently I've been using some mineral makeup, which seems lower maintenance than the liquid foundation that I used to use.

Is it possible for an item of make-up to be called low-maintenance? What if it is replacing a less expensive type of make-up?

We'll leave those questions unanswered for now. Feel free to answer to yourself at home and make fun of me.

So powder and blush are usually the extent of my morning efforts, and I spend approximately a minute and a half on that part of my morning routine.

Sometimes I'll spend an extra 15 seconds applying a lip gloss. I usually eat it off when I have my morning yogurt, and I don't bother reapplying. But I still feel like I went above and beyond that day. Bravo me.

Some days, when I'm feeling particularly plucky, I'll apply eyeliner. A few years ago when I was working at the-company-that-shall-not-be-named, one of my harmlessly flirtatious coworkers (he was older and from South America, so it seemed normal, if that makes any sense) asked me, "M, why are you so beautiful today?"

It was the eyeliner. I realized that perhaps I was setting the bar too high with my eyeliner efforts, so I put the pencil in the back of my make-up box (a plastic Q-tip holder). I can't have people expecting me to put a full 5 minutes into my make-up routine on a daily basis. Next thing you know, they'll expect me to wear mascara. The last time I wore mascara was on my wedding day, and that was over 2 years ago. (Note to self: Perhaps it's time to throw out that mascara.)

But (there is a point) I bought some new eyeliner at Sephora earlier in the week, and it's amazingly easy to apply, so much better than the stuff from Target, that I've actually worn it several times this week. No one has asked me why I look so beautiful--that compliment likely won't come my way ever again--but I am coming around to the idea of setting the bar a little higher for myself.

No comments: