Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vacation news

Not much new on the Banff front. I've booked a couple of activities, including a boat trip on Maligne Lake in Jasper and a ride up the Jasper tramway. My guidebook threatened a two-hour wait for the tramway and didn't mention the possibility of advanced reservations, so perhaps the online reservation system is new. I'm all for time-saving strategies, especially when they have liberal cancellation policies.

I still haven't booked our final car rental. I'm avoiding this task because I'm not ready to accept the large sum that we will likely spend on a car rental and insurance, which I always say I will skip and then buy at the last minute because I'm paranoid. Another reason why we stay in cities and take trains while vacationing in Europe.

Speaking of Europe, the euro has been tanking against the dollar. On the other hand, the Canadian dollar (CAD) and US dollar are flirting with parity. Parity occurs when two currencies trade on a one-for-one basis. Once upon a time, the thought of the USD and CAD approaching parity would have been cause for riotous and condescending laughter (by Americans). In other words, we haven't chosen the best time to vacation in Canada. However, one US dollar still buys at least one CAD and only $.75 worth of euros, so we're still coming out ahead.

So will Europe be our next destination? Unlikely. B and I both have a lot of vacation days this year, four weeks' worth or more. However, the Banff trip is not going to leave much in the vacation budget for 2010. We find ourselves in a unique position--plentiful vacation days and a piddling budget. Right now, I'm considering a couple of options:
  • Renting a house on Mount Desert Island in Maine. Mount Desert is where Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are. Weekly rentals are reasonably priced (that is, they are less than our monthly mortgage payment) and come with kitchens for preparing meals. I've been wanting to visit Acadia for a while now, but I'm not sure if I want two national park trips in one year.
  • Visiting Chicago. I desperately want to see a taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which is taped on Thursday nights in Chicago and aired on NPR stations on Saturdays and Sundays. And the city is full of interesting attractions, both indoor and outdoor. We would either fly or drive for this trip--probably fly.
No decisions yet - one vacation at a time.

No comments: