Monday, June 4, 2007

Nice day for a soft rock wedding

B and I have basic cable, which means we have the networks, 5 Spanish-language channels, 4 home-shopping channels, 3 local access channels, 2 public television stations, and VH1. I don't know why we get VH1, but I suspect it's because there is a cable god, and he recognizes how difficult life can be without cable. (And if you're wondering why we don't have cable, there are 2 reason: (a) we don't want to watch enough television to justify a $60 cable bill, and (b) we are cheap.)

Last night, when all other viewing options were exhausted, we turned to VH1 for some mindless entertainment in the form of a special about the top 40 soft rock hits of all time. From Toto to Chicago to Chris de Burgh and Rupert Holmes, I was ready to name-that-tune after hearing only a few notes of synthesizer magic.

As I was rocking out to Michael Bolton (anyone who thinks you can't rock out to Michael Bolton isn't trying hard enough), I realized that I knew--and loved!--every single song on the countdown. And it was then that I realized that my musical tastes tend toward the cheesy.

In the past, when people asked me what type of music I like, I usually replied, "I like everything!" and then qualified the response with a list of exceptions (the presence of foul language or implied violence or misogyny will land a song on the Unacceptable list). Now I know that the response has to be modified to, "I like anything that is played on the Delilah show best." (Delilah happens to be my radio show of choice for my evening showers and likely would be a top choice for my morning showers, if the show were played during the morning.)

Now I need to go through the list of songs we'd like the DJ to play at our wedding to make sure that all of my suggestions are not of the soft rock genre because I suspect not all of our guests are looking forward to rocking out to Mr. Bolton with me.

No comments: