Friday, May 16, 2008

Boutique shopping at home

As I slowly work up to having a wardrobe consisting only of clothing that I love, I have found a way to jump-start the process, and it's a lot easier and cheaper than I expected. It's all about appearances. I have given my wardrobe a make-over by putting my clothes on different hangers.

Because we have limited bureau space (B and I share a bureau, and by "share," I mean that he has 3 drawers and I have 9), most of our clothes hang in our closet, which is the entire length of one wall in our bedroom and is pretty spacious. I have a hanging shelf that I store some sweaters on, but most of them hang in my closet, and I thought that they deserved nicer hangers than the standard plastic ones that we have. I decided to trade up in hanger world, so last night I bought wooden hangers for my sweaters.

A box of 24 wooden hangers came at a bargain price from my neighborhood Target, and today I hung my sweaters and a few other shirts on them. What a difference! Opening my closet doors is like stepping into one of those boutique stores that hangs every shirt on a wooden hanger that is exactly three inches from the next item of clothing. Those stores feel like exclusive spas for clothing. And now so can my closet! My clothes look ok on plastic hangers, but they look spectacular on wooden hangers. I want to wear everything!

Granted, only 24 (out of how many, I don't want to know) items are on my fancy upscale hangers, and the closet situation is a bit cozier than the spa-like boutiques. Apparently wooden hangers take up more space than plastic hangers, so maybe switching over to all wooden hangers is not the way to go. I am already encroaching on B's space in the closet, and with all wooden hangers, I might just take over the whole thing--and that wouldn't be fair (he has more clothing than I do!).

For now, I'll keep myself happy with my 24 hangers and will consider buying another package, if the right mood strikes and I decide that my closet needs another cheap make-over.

No comments: