Thursday, May 1, 2008

Coming home to gang violence

B and I have, shall we say, different tastes in movies. I like movies with happy endings, minimal drama, and music montages (bonus points if there is a wedding). B likes movies that are in the genre that I have coined "Guns and Cigarettes." Guns-and-cigarettes movies are characterized by violence, coarse language, and lots of smoking (bonus points if the mafia is involved). B's movie tastes are, as I have learned, similar to his tastes in video games.

Before B and I started dating, he had been committing his free evenings to playing the video game "Grand Theft Auto" (aka GTA). The game allows free-form play--for example, you can earn Good Person points (that's my own term, I have no idea what they're really called) for driving ambulances and rescuing people. Or, you can take on missions that involve kidnapping people and driving them off piers, or you can simply incite gang violence, steal cars, and shoot anyone who gets in your way. I'm not sure what the goal of the game is, but a secondary goal is just to stay alive.

B put the game away when we started dating (I am, after all, way more fun and interesting than gang violence), but the recent press for a new release of a game in the GTA series has renewed his interest in the game. My evening shower time, which he used to use for foraging in the kitchen and later for doing his Navy SEALs workout routine, is now dedicated to playing GTA. And when he plays, you can hear the echoes of the machine gun throughout the house.

I can relate to having strange obsessions, even of the video game variety. I think it's safe to say that I have played just a little too much Tetris in the past, and I have the tendency to become single minded in some of my pursuits. Luckily, most of my crazy obsessions are short lived, and after burning brightly for a couple weeks, they fizzle out and return to normalcy. For now, I'm enjoying how excited he gets when he plays, and I'm hoping that the upcoming golf season will be inspiration for new and different pursuits.

No comments: