Saturday, May 31, 2008

It all started with a fake plant

The sink project is on.



We went back and forth, trying to decide if we wanted to take on the project, but in the end, we decided that we couldn't recover from our jealousy if we returned the sink and someone else bought it. I think we both had other motivations, though--and they are different.

I think B likes the sink project because it's a project that he's never undertaken before. We're going to be removing tile and moulding, repainting (hey, at least we kept our chosen color for two years--that is something), installing plumbing stuff (I'm a little hazy on those details), and maybe even--yes, the wedding didn't see the end of my spraypaint adventures--spraypainting our lighting fixture to match our new faucet.

I'm less excited for the journey and more excited for the end result. When I mentioned to CDL that we bought the sink and were still trying to decide if we should keep it, she offered this sage advice: Throughout your life, you should collect and surround yourself with beautiful and unique things. When she put it like that, I didn't see how I could possibly give the sink back. It will transform our downstairs bathroom, and I can't wait to see how everything will look together.

Today we started buying our supplies. We found a faucet and drain that we like at Lowe's, and a 10% off coupon made it even more attractive. B also got some sealers that spilled in the car and left the Subie smelling like the kill jar that I used to amass my insect collection in the tenth grade. And I don't think that I need to state this, but the insect collection was a bio class assignment and was not a hobbyist activity. I don't get down with bugs.

We also bought a granite countertop. This purchase required a bit of research because our local Lowe's and Home Depot didn't sell any vessel-sink countertops. On the recommendation from one of B's coworkers, we called some local granite stores to get quotes on remnants, which are the leftovers from somebody else's project. The $35/square foot cost in addition to a number of other add-on charges for finishing and back- and side-splashes kicked the cost up, even if we installed ourselves. We found the most reasonable option at the Expo Design Center, which is a higher-end version of Home Depot. Our color options were limited, but the price point was right on.

On the way to the Expo Design Center, we stopped at our local hardware store and picked up paint chips for our bathroom. Our new bathroom is going to be reddish-pink, orange, yellow, green, or purple. I guess we still have a decision to make there. B is leaning towards something lighter, so the sink will stand out more, and I'm leaning towards something darker because I think it will be a more dramatic look. We'll probably follow our usual path of hanging the finalists on the wall and picking the one that looks the best.

We haven't decided when we'll start, but as long as we finish before we go to Italy, I think we'll be ok. I can't wait to see our brand-new bathroom.

No comments: