Monday, July 14, 2008

If it falls off, you can keep going...

During our mid-teen years, CDL and I had a few automobile adventures. We liked to think of ourselves as co-drivers--one person controlled the steering and speed, and the other person assisted with lane changes, merges, road position, and obstacles. In hindsight, we probably should have lit up some kind of bat signal to alert other drivers to our presence on the road.

One of my fondest memories is the advice that we used to receive from C's mother, especially car and driving advice. The prized gem that we quote to this day came when C's car was experiencing some technical difficulties, and the mechanic warned that one particular piece of the car (we never found out which one) was in danger of coming loose but was apparently not critical to the operation of the vehicle, as long as it became fully unattached. The advice was this: "If something falls off the car, you can keep going, but if it starts dragging on the ground, you have to turn around and come back home."

Luckily for everyone, our adventure that day and subsequent days never involved lost car parts (unless perhaps the co-driver was not doing her job and didn't notice or hear the fallen part), but I frequently see such disasters occurring on my commute.

Take this afternoon, for instance. I saw a large piece of metal about a thousand feet ahead and immediately hit my brakes to alert drivers behind me to slow down. The piece of metal turned out to be the largest silver bumper I have ever seen--if it didn't fall off a tractor trailer, it must have fallen off one of those giant pickup trucks that could swallow my Corolla whole. And it was sitting in the middle of the highway, with no pulled-over vehicle in sight.

Is it possible, I thought, that the driver of this vehicle knew about our childhood rule--and actually followed it? I wondered if maybe the bumper had been dragging on the ground for a while--it looked damaged--and the person was trying to make their way home when it fell off, and then they decided that it was safe to carry on their merry way, bumper- and care-free. I can see how the reasoning would work: "Well, I attempted to turn around and make my way home, but it fell off, so I can keep going and pick up those trouser socks I need from TJ Maxx."

A police officer was right behind me as I passed the bumper, so I suspect that he removed the hazard. What do you do with a giant bumper? Planter? Wall art? Coffee table? Perhaps there is something to be said for collecting your automo-debris.

1 comment:

csa said...

Your mom was talking about the muffler or tail pipe. I of course was taught to stop and salvage such an item, but past experience has shown that if the thing falls off, you have a 90% chance of needing a totally new one. And yes, you can keep going and the car will just be louder. Living that way is Not Safe, but getting home is fine.

I would think that the bumper would be much more salvageable, and expensive to replace to boot. Plus it doesn't get as hot as the muffler or tail pipe so you should be able to just stop and pick it up. Definately not the "it" your mother was talking about.

Note that your muffler issue could still totally happen on the Corolla and is a sound like no other. If you hear it dragging, it can cause sparks and you need to stop. This has happened on the Annual Trip to Ohio more than once...