Thursday, May 24, 2007

Dog trials

This weekend, B and I are going to be in charge of a living thing for the first time.

Well, technically, this isn't the first time as we have both been in charge of plants for a while now, but considering we've killed all but the most indestructible plants, we're going to ignore the track record and focus on the positive.

Back to this weekend. We're watching B's sister's dog. He is a toy poodle, and I haven't had the honor of meeting him yet, but B says he is a great, well-behaved little guy. I suspect B has an ulterior motive in this venture, though.

He has been pushing to get a dog ever since he got the condo. I have never owned a dog and would be perfectly happy to keep it that way for the rest of my life. However, B would love to get a bulldog, so in the spirit of compromise, I have settled on a few cat-like breeds that might be acceptable should we decide to go down the dog avenue. All of the breeds I have identified are small and would fit in a handbag (a shopping buddy!) or could be brought on a plane in a carry-on bag. The breed I keep coming back to is the chihuahua because they are just so darned cute (and small--smaller than most cats, even). There are lots of chi mixes, like chi-weenies (chis plus the hot dog dogs), chi-poos (chis and toy poodles), and others. So many options.

We don't plan to get a dog any time soon--B would have to be home more often than he is now because I don't see myself waking up early in the middle of February to take Bowser for a walk--but at least we will have a small idea of what it will be like after this weekend.

No comments: