Friday, May 25, 2007

More like a spending chill, really

The spending freeze is melting quickly as the days grow warmer.

I haven't succumbed to any other splurge purchases since the dishes (which arrived, at least part of the order, this week--and they are marvelous), but I've been eyeing another "necessary" acquisition--luggage.

I have an enormous suitcase (affectionately known as "Big Suitcase") that suited me well when (a) I relocated to another country or state for months at a time, and (b) airline restrictions on luggage were more loosey goosey. But times have changed.

I no longer go away for 10 months at a time, and airlines allow bags to be only 40-50 pounds before they exact an overweight charge on your luggage. I think it's rude, as does Big Suitcase, who prefers to be described as "rubenesque." But offense aside, I've come very close the past 2 airline trips to having to pay an overweight fee because Big Suitcase is just too big and holds more than I am actually allowed to take (and frantic clothing rearrangement between bags in the airport is not as much fun as it might seem). We need a new game plan for France.

Coincidentally (or is Big Brother reading my mind? I suspect we'll never know), I received an email from Amazon informing me that as an avid traveler (they are all too familiar with my guidebook habit), I ought to check out their travel store, which conveniently sells luggage with Amazon's swell super saving shipping. I had thought about hitting up Marshall's for new bags, but I think Amazon's prices are better, and you can get whole luggage sets for a very good price.

I haven't bought yet but plan to do further research this weekend. The goal is to buy a non-black set (because everyone has black luggage and it's hard to spot your particular black bag when it rolls by you) that isn't too girly so B will be able to use it during his travels. Lavender isn't that girly, is it?

No comments: