Sunday, May 6, 2007

Trousseau shopping?

B and I have a one-page checklist (nabbed from one of my bridal magazines) hanging on the fridge, and we've been checking off items as we complete them. The list isn't comprehensive--for instance, "Cut sticks from your parents' yard" is noticeably absent, as is "Paint said sticks and assemble prototype centerpiece to make sure it doesn't look like garbage." And there are a few extra items, like "Hire a videographer" that don't apply since we're scared of what we might look like while dancing and would rather assume the best than know the worst. But overall, it's been helpful and useful and reassuring--we know that we won't forget anything big.

Most of the items on the list are self explanatory, like "Buy your wedding gown" and "Order your cake," but there is one item in particular that has me stumped--"Begin shopping for your trousseau." I've heard the word "trousseau" before, but I assumed it was one of those things that had fallen out of fashion, like corsets and hoop skirts. In fact, I wasn't even sure of the exact definition, so I checked m-w.com, and here's what I found:

"The personal possessions of a bride usually including clothes, accessories, and household linens and wares."

Knowing the definition has not helped me understand the necessity of having this item on a wedding checklist--it seems sexist. Why is the bride's wardrobe, which is obviously perfectly adequate for her work life and personal life (and likely played a role in attracting her future husband), suddenly no longer acceptable for a married woman? And why is the bride responsible for fitting the house with household linens and wares? I'm not sure if I even know what a "ware" is.

I don't get it, but I think the trousseau checklist item is getting a big black line through it.

No comments: