Friday, June 6, 2008

I'd like to thank the Environmental Fashion Academy...

Inspired by my friend Christine (see blog link to the right), I purchased some reusable shopping bags. I feel guilty every time I bring home groceries in plastic bags, and I decided that it was time to put an end to the plastic madness. I went to envirosax.com and discovered that they have a new line of bags that are awesomeness squared. Here are a few of them:













So technically, this is a kids series, and I neither am nor have a kid, but I prefer to think of them as young-at-heart bags. I ordered 6, and I plan to keep 1 in my purse (for when I'm at CVS or Target or wherever and don't want to carry my purchases in a plastic bag) and the remaining five in the car for the grocery store. The difficult part will be remembering to bring the bags into the store, but it's a change that we will eventually get used to. Plus who wouldn't want to carry around such awesome bags. I suspect my fellow shoppers will be jealous.


There's only one small fly in my save-the-world ointment, and I discovered it before checking out on the website. I looked at the total and did a double take. Was I really about to spend $50--fifty dollars!--plus shipping! on...polyester bags? bags that I technically don't even need because I can get plastic grocery bags for free? Oh, sad truth. It should be mentioned that you can buy bags at our neighborhood supermarket for $1. However, they aren't cute, they don't roll up to small sizes, and they're more like billboards for the supermarket. But they are significantly cheaper.


Environmentalists might argue that it would be better to buy the $1 bags and donate the remaining $7.50 to an environmental charity. And good for them if they want to do that. But I wanted the cute bags! So I bought them. That's me--saving the planet, one expensive but stylish purchase at a time. If an organization ever decides to give out the Environmental Fashion awards, we know who they'll be calling.


I hope they arrive before our next grocery run. I can't wait for their shopping debut.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, Melissa! I'm proud of you. Oh, and envious of your bags. I might have to get a fun set like that. :)