Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today's Like and Dislike

Today I'm offering one Like and one Dislike. Here they are, in no particular order.

Like.
I liked that President Obama scheduled his first prime-time press conference for a Monday that featured a repeat Gossip Girl.

The CW doesn't pre-empt their shows for presidential events, no doubt because they don't have any news shows, so who would offer the commentary. Plus there is the issue of whether their target audience of tweeners is also the target audience for such events.

Anyway, had Gossip Girl been new, I would have been placed in a very difficult position. I know that GG is all frivolity, fashion, and flirtiness, and the president is all serious, important, and timely, but I'm about chock-full of seriousness right now, and I can't say with certainty that I would have chosen wisely.

In short, thank you, Mr. President, for not making me make that decision.

Dislike.
It feels wrong to criticize Prius drivers. After all, they pay a premium to reduce their carbon footprint. They're polluting just like the rest of us, but they're trying to minimize their pollution, and I respect and appreciate that.

However, I can't hold back any longer. I dislike Prius drivers who decide to maximize their fuel efficiency when they're driving in front of me on the highway. If you want to drive 42, hit the back road. Otherwise, if you're on the highway at rush hour, at least try to keep up with the flow of traffic.

(And it doesn't count as keeping up with the flow if a long line of cars that are approaching their exits are stuck behind you.)

No comments: