Monday, October 8, 2007

In good health and in bad

This past week featured a momentous occurrence that had not been seen before--both B and I were sick at the same time. The last honeymoon memento that B and I picked up was a French cold.

We've been together for over three years, and I've never had a serious cold in that time. I am blessed with an amazing immune system. B has had a few minor sniffles but nothing serious either. It took French germs to knock us both off our feet.

This weekend, B's cold improved, while mine took a turn for the worse. A doctor's visit uncovered my fear--a minor case of bronchitis. To put my doctor's visit into perspective, the last time I went to the doctor because I was sick was 6 years ago when I had mono, and I diagnosed the illness before I got there--the doctor didn't believe me but tests indicated one of the worst cases he had ever seen--if only I had understood bio, I might have found my calling in the medical industry.

Anyway. I was given a 5-day course of antibiotics that I do not intend to take. Well, not right away, anyway. I will give my body a couple more days to fight this off on its own, and then if there is no improvement, I will take the pills.

The doctor also offered my codeine to help me sleep. Sniff. Thanks but no thanks.