Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Customer service is so not my forte

This past weekend, B and I had an extended visit at every cook's favorite store. We were there so long that we started joking with the staff that we should put on aprons and start making sales. One of them took the joke further and said that they were desperately seeking seasonal help, and would I like an application. I wavered, and then he said the magic words: "Forty percent discount!" I decided that taking an application couldn't hurt.

I asked if I would be allowed to work only one night per week. He said usually not, but when they're desperate, they will accept it. I asked what the evening hours were. He said you could start at 5, 6, or 7, and your shift usually ends around 11.

I'm torn. I don't want a second job, and I don't need a second job, but a forty-percent discount is tempting! Then again, it's guaranteed that every penny I earn at this second job--and then some--would be immediately sunk back into the store. Plus the idea of working until 11 any night of the week sounds wretched.

I think the application is going to go into the garbage. After I can reconcile throwing away my forty percent discount.