Thursday, October 11, 2007

Who is this MH person...

Today, I was faced with a difficult task--signing my new name for the first time.

The blank line was in front of me, and I realized that I haven't even practiced writing my new name--I had no idea how to write a capital H in cursive, let alone the full name. H's are tricky! You have to lift the pen, otherwise your H starts looking more like a U with a monkey bar in the middle. You also have to decide if you're going to use the traditional loop at the top of the first stick of the H or if you're going to to throw your weight behind the minimalist H and go loopless. So many decisions! And I haven't made any of them!

After a couple minutes of confusion and no writing, I wrote the letters as I was taught in the third grade. Consequently, I currently have the signature of a third grader. It's marginally better than the signature on my social security card, which I got when I was 7. I am going to have to do some serious practicing before I get my new license.

Writing my new name is only one of the many challenges that I've encountered. For instance, I don't recognize my own name on email messages. I see emails from this person named MH and wonder who she is. However, I must point out that she has a sparkling wit--I will have to invite her over for tea.