Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Acupuncture, or, How much would you pay to be poked with needles?

This weekend, I turned 25 (again), and I believe that a birthday is an excellent time to try something new because then you have a lasting memory of both the experience and the way that you spent your birthday. For this birthday, B and I got acupuncture.

A couple of my coworkers had tried it, enjoyed it, and promised it didn't hurt, and I had a few dollars remaining in my medical flex spending account (use it or lose it!), so I decided to give it a try. I didn't have any particular ailment that needed addressing but figured it would be useful for general stress relief and my occasional back pain. B is always up for new experiences and kindly agreed to come along.

Our health insurance company referred us to 3 acupuncturists in the area, and I called to find out pricing and opening hours. If you can get a discount with your health insurance, acupuncture is comparable to or even cheaper than most spa treatments. If you have a flex spending account, it's even more of a bargain. The first visit is a little pricier than subsequent visits, but it's also longer because they're getting to know you and your medical history.

I chose the acupuncturist who had Saturday hours and was able to book our appointments just a few days out--hooray! We arrived at the appointments stressed out because we were late and Ben had had a fight in the car with our Garmin (long story)--I knew that we'd be putting the acupuncturist to the test.

We filled out multi-page forms with our medical history and current ailments, and then the acupuncturist asked which of us had more complicated medical issues--we said that we were both straightforward, so she asked who talked more. B won, so he went first. I waited for about 20 minutes in the waiting room and then she came and got me and brought me into a room.

We talked about the form I had filled out, and then she gave me a johnnie to change into (I was hoping that the visit wouldn't involve changing clothes, though now that I've been through it, I can see how it's necessary) and left.

A few minutes later, she returned, and I confirmed that she disposes of needles after using them, and then she got started. I had a small moment of panic as I was lying face down on the table--one of those why-am-I-paying-for-this-experience moments. But I calmed myself, reminded myself that trying new experiences is good and worthwhile, and then I was ok.

She explained that I might feel a little pain when the needle went in, and if so, that was usually a sign that there was an issue with that particular area. However, the pain should go away, and if it doesn't, then she needs to adjust the placement. I didn't have any persistent pain, though.

I couldn't feel some of the needles as they went in, but others were more painful than I expected--not overwhelming pain, just momentary, I'm-being-pricked-with-a-pin pain. It went away almost as soon as it came, so it was bearable.

She put probably 20-25 (I should have counted...) needles in my neck, back, hands, and ankles, and then said that I should relax and try not to move, and she'd be back in 20 minutes.

I couldn't really feel the needles--it was a strange experience, knowing that my back looked like a pincushion but I had no physical awareness of the needles being in me. I did feel a little like I was floating for a few minutes early on--that was cool. The coolness faded as more and more time went by--she didn't come back for 40 minutes, probably. Twenty minutes would have been preferable--I was getting fidgety, and fidgeting is not conducive to relaxing. Maybe during regular appointments, it's closer to 20 minutes.

When she came back, she removed the needles (no pain at all) and then gave me a 10-15-minute massage (not typically part of acupuncture--it was a great bonus). Then I turned over and she put needles on my feet, ankles, hands, arms, ears, and forehead, and then she left (again promising a 20-minute return). I think she was gone closer to 30 minutes this time, but I didn't mind the extra time since I was more comfortable lying on my back.

This time, I didn't have the floating sensation, but when I closed my eyes, instead of seeing black, I saw black and purple, almost like a black light. The room was dark because she had turned out the lights, and the purple went away as time went by. I have no explanation for this phenomenon but perhaps it was because I was lying on my stomach for so long.

She came back, took out the needles, and I was finished and free to get dressed.

I'm sure it was a combination of the acupuncture and massage, but I felt incredibly relaxed and pretty sleepy afterwards, and my neck muscles that had been clenched for days were finally relaxed. I took a long nap that afternoon and was still tired at my usual bedtime, so if you go, plan some free time afterwards to catch up on sleep.

Overall, I was pleased with my acupuncture session, though if I go again, I will be sure to ask for clear expectations about how long I will be waiting for her return. If you don't have any needle phobias and can find a place with reasonable prices, I recommend giving it a try, if only to have a new experience, and maybe to help with an ailment that has been bothering you.

2 comments:

Sophia Jason said...

The Associates in Family Chiropractic & Natural Health Care, P.C. team is committed to providing their patients with the guidance and medical direction necessary to live a balanced and healthy lifestyle. They combine both traditional and alternative approaches, so that patients can get the best of both worlds and thoroughly treat their specific condition. Visit the site to know more about them http://www.localdoctordirectory.com/doctor_index_2486.htmlsa

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!