Saturday, November 8, 2008

Where can I find the non-Amazon tall size...

In general, I don't know what it's like to be short. Yes, once upon a time, I was younger and smaller than I am now, but even when I was short compared to adults, I was always tall compared to my peers, and I always felt tall in my clothes, which were generally too short in the leg and arm throughout childhood.

After I took responsibility for buying my own clothes, I discovered stores that catered to tall women--halleluja! Tall pants are usually just long enough for me to wear flats, though sometimes they require heels (or hemming, but heels are cheaper). However, I have recently met my match in a pair of long pants from Ann Taylor.

I've joked with people that I'd need a 37"+ inseam on my pants to be able to wear the 4" stillettos that I see some girls rocking, and where can you get women's pants with a 37" inseam. It's a hypothetical question because I have never encountered such a thing--until now.

The long pants that I recently received from an online order are so long that I can't wear them with my highest (3") heels--the pants drag on the ground. I'm not sure if I could wear them with 4" heels. Stilts might be required to keep these pants from dragging...

So now, for the first time in my life, I have to have my pants hemmed, and I'm not particularly happy about it, especially since the tailor I called quoted me a $20 price tag (since the pants are wide and cuffed). $20!! I have newfound sympathy for anyone who has to have every pair of pants that she buys hemmed.

I'm not going to pay someone to hem my pants, not if it's going to cost $20. The bargain for which I got the pants would be obliterated by this extra expense. It's time to break out the needle and thread and conquer my sewing fears.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I must choose one of these solutions for every pair of pants I buy:

1. Do nothing to pants. Constantly trip over long pant legs. Watch as pant bottoms quickly become ragged and dirty from scraping and dragging on the ground and getting caught under my shoes. Feel disappointment that no one can see my great footwear.

2. Pay to have pants hemmed. This rarely happens because of lack of extra funds and because of personal laziness. Oh, and because I only remember that I want to get my pants hemmed when I go to put them on in the morning. Also, the last time I paid to get my pants hemmed the hem fell out two days later.

3. Cut the bottoms of the pants off. This leaves a ragged edge. Sometimes the bottoms of the pants curl up inside the pants. If the pants were cuffed, the cuffs are gone, ruining the style of the pants. If the pants are jeans, they then look too sloppy for work.

Thanks for introducing me to a fourth option...hemming the pants myself! Maybe I can teach myself. Oh, and thanks for the sympathy. Much appreciated! :)

M said...

B found some YouTube videos that explain the hemming process, so I recommend starting there. Unfortunately, you're supposed to own a sewing machine to finish the ends. This requirement is absurd because if I owned a sewing machine, chances are likely that I would already have sufficient domestic skills to hem on my own. At this point, returning the pants and putting the cash towards some nice blue boots seems like the best option...

Unknown said...

Boots don't need hemming... :)