Thursday, November 13, 2008

A spartan TV schedule

While we were in Italy, B and I didn't watch much television, but our TV time increased after we returned home, much to our dismay. Well, maybe only to my dismay.

After a weekend that featured what seemed like 12 hours of football watching (college, pro, and I think even some local high school games on the public access station), I realized that we had started using the television as a way to pass the time. We were being less and less choosy about the shows that we watched, and as a result, we were filling up our time together with a log of garbage (yes, I Love Money, and just about every other show on VH1--I'm talking about you).

We agreed to trying an experiment with the TV. We each chose several hours' worth of programming that we couldn't live without and agreed not to watch anything else. B chose the weekly Patriot's game, and I chose The Office and Gossip Girl.

For the first week, we were very good about sticking to our plan, though some college football did manage to sneak into the schedule. We're now in week 3 and have had some flagrant violations (House two nights ago, and Bones last night), but after spending 11-12 hours at work, it's tough to find motivation for anything besides dinner, TV, and sleep. I'm hoping we bouce back to our spartan TV schedule next week.

No comments: