Sunday, November 16, 2008

What's the most spontaneous thing you've ever done?

I drew the titular question from a bag during my women's studies class in college. Few questions could have provided as much insight into my personality as this one.

Everyone had to read her question aloud and offer an answer. As my classmates each took their turns with easy questions ("Where do you see yourself in five years?" "What's your favorite place on earth?"), I desperately searched the archives of my brain for any memory that hinted of spontaneity.

There were none. I'm not a spontaneous person.

"I'm not a spontaneous person," I announced after reading my question. "I don't do spontaneous things."

"That's something that you can work on, then!" the professor chirped.

I nodded agreeably while thinking to myself, why on earth would I want to be spontaneous? What value does a spur-of-the-moment decision bring that a carefully planned decision can't?

Ten years later, I don't think my professor would be impressed with my progress. Among my spontaneous activities I include shopping (afterwards, I am sometimes regretful, sometimes defiantly proud) and eating/buying dessert (late at night, I have been known to declare that I simply must have a piece of cake, and then off we go to try to find some). I just don't think my nature is to be spontaneous.

But now, if anyone asks again about the most spontaneous thing I've ever done, I have an answer. Tonight, within the last hour, I purchased plane tickets--spontaneously. Sort of spontaneously.

Last weekend, we saw a Rick Steves show on Spain, and B and I were of the same mind--we simply must go. The architecture in Barcelona was unlike anything I had ever seen, and my 6 years of Spanish classes included the occasional bit of of art and history, which meant that the numerous museum visits might not be as yawnish as usual for me.

We purchased Rick's Spain book earlier in the week, and I started scoping out dates. Mid-to-late April seemed like a good time to go--shoulder season, so the crowds would be thinner and prices would be softer, but the weather would be more temperate than our weather in New England.

Flights were as I expected, most ranging from $600 to $900. But when I checked today, there wasn't a single flight for less than $850. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I don't like spending more then $550 to fly to Europe, and even that pricetag is high--it cuts into my souvenir budget.

And more complications ensued. B's travel has been cut significantly this year--yay!--but that means that we have fewer Starwood points to use for free hotels abroad. However, some offer a cash + points offer, where you pay a nominal fee in US dollars plus a sizeable number of points. However, cash + points weren't available at one of our hotels for the month of April. It was time to step back and figure out a new plan.

On a whim, I entered new dates into Kayak.com to scope out flights, and imagine my surprise when I found what I consider to be bargain flights to Europe--and one of them was even direct! The dates were earlier--March into April--but the flights were the right price, and the cash + points offer was available for most of the nights.

I ran excitedly to B and asked if he was ready to be spontaneous. I should note that B is not a spontaneous person, either, especially when it comes to travel, but he is excited about going to Spain and agreed to my crazy plan.

And so we're going to Spain next year, and I am officially spontaneous.

No comments: