Sunday, April 29, 2007

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done..."

I'm not sure that my encounter with a guillotine can be described in such noble terms, though I did survive with all limbs and digits intact, and that is something to be proud of.

My guillotine adventure was entirely voluntary and motivated by a desire to save some bling on wedding invitations. We decided to print, cut, and assemble them ourselves, and while I don't regret that decision, I don't think I was aware of how difficult it would actually be. B and I encountered many challenges, including:

  • Printers don't always print straight pages. A slight crookedness is not an issue when you're reading, but when a page holds four Save the Date cards, and you're trying to get straight edges for all four sides of each card, it's a challenge.
  • Even when the pages print straight, guillotines are not easy to use! You'd think lining up a piece of paper along the top and then cutting would be simple--but it's not! When you have to make 12 cuts per page, and you have 35 pages to cut, you sometimes get a little careless. Or I did, anyway.

Difficulties aside, we got it done, though the whole process took nearly an entire day. The assembling/addressing process took the entire length of the Office Space movie and then some, but it was really satisfying to have a pile of envelopes to mail. Unfortunately, we're not entirely finished because we don't have all of our names and addresses yet, but we're hoping to finish by this weekend.

Unfortunately, we've only just begun the process because the invitation envelopes will include invitations, hotel information, directions, and response cards (and response envelopes, but those won't require much in the way of assembly.)

Perhaps we ought to get started on the remaining paper assembly tasks now...

No comments: