Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The guarantee of the hidden fee

A few aspects to Major Life Changes are guaranteed. Of course, there will be drama and excitement and nervousness and all of that, but another guarantee is a bit more subtle--the guarantee of the hidden fee. And a wedding, the king of all Major Life Changes (MLCs), is replete with hidden fees and charges.

The latest one I'm grappling with is perhaps the worst of all because it's not a charge that's being imposed upon me. We're having our engagement photo session this weekend, and naturally, I have nothing to wear! Well, nothing I want to wear, and this state of clothing depletion is going to necessitate a shopping trip. And during said shopping trip, do I really want to buy a cheap, synthetic, itchy top? What does a synthetic top say about one's commitment to one's engagement, anyway? I better get cashmere--what would look better than cashmere? And what would look better with a cashmere sweater than a fun pair of Vineyard Vines flip flops?

Unfortunately, the fees don't end with clothing. I was not born with the hair styling gene that other women have. My forays into hair products result in helmet-like bouffants. I will be hiring someone to do my hair for the wedding to ameliorate this situation, but is it acceptable to do the same for the engagement photo? Just for a shampoo and blow-dry...

The question of the day is: If I did (hypothetically, of course) purchase a cashmere sweater and VV flippies and have my hair done, would I have to include these expenses in the wedding budget? They would have a not-inconsiderable effect on the bottom line. And technically, they're not necessary wedding expenses. More like optional life expenses that receive an override through the current spending freeze due to extenuating circumstances. Perhaps we ought to keep these hidden fees truly hidden...

No comments: