Friday, April 13, 2007

Making my fortune through wedding photography

Should I ever decide that technical writing is not the field for me, I know where I will turn--wedding photography.

B and I have trolled through so many wedding photographer web pages, and most of the minimum--minimum!--packages start at a ridiculously high amount. The ironic twist is that the fee pays for a single photographer simply to show up and take pictures for a few hours. If you actually want copies of the pictures--well, that is extra. You want a wedding album to show to friends and families? Extra! You want digital files so you can print all the copies you want? Be prepared to hand over your firstborn child! And if you want something other than their canned packages--better look elsewhere.

There are some reasonably priced photographers, but their downfall is usually their complete lack of common sense and sales technique. They expect you to travel to their studios because "how else could you discover the essence of their photography." One photographer told me that it would take me no more than 30 minutes to travel to his NH studio from where I work. I understand it's not rational to be personally offended by such false information, but I couldn't help it. I cancelled that appointment yesterday after wondering for days why I even agreed to it in the first place.

Luckily, we have found several photographers who seem more grounded. We met one we liked a lot this week, and we're meeting another tonight. I liked her a lot on the phone--she offered her packages but said they are customizable depending on budget and what we need--yay! Having two very talented and flexible photogs to choose from is a good position to be in.

Now we need to start the search for a professional photo studio that can print the digital files we plan to purchase from the photog. You can't cut corners everywhere. :)

No comments: