Thursday, March 5, 2009

Anything over 5 degrees will be an improvement

This week's sub-freezing temperatures have me looking ahead to our Spain trip, which is rapidly approaching. Spain's temperatures, while not quite tropical, are still an improvement over New England's, and I'm looking forward to 10 solid days of 50- and 60-degree sunny days.

(Of course, if there's anyone who can bring cold weather and rain to an otherwise warm location, it's the two of us; nevertheless, I am hopeful.)

On a whim, because no trip can be over-researched (har, har), I decided to check the sunrise and sunset times for Madrid and Barcelona, and I was pleased with what I found. The sun rises and sets late in both locations, coming up around 7:30 AM and setting about 12 hours later. After daylight savings starts in Europe mid-trip, the sun will rise and set an hour later.

Now, if I were commuting to work and the sun didn't rise until 8:30 (two hours after I wake up, and an hour after I typically arrive at work), I wouldn't be happy. But on vacation? Bring on the late sunset.

And the churros con chocolate.

No comments: