Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Earth Hour 2009

I learned today that I'm going to be spending Earth Hour in Spain.

Earth Hour started in 2007 in Australia and has since gone global. To celebrate the event, you turn off your lights between the hours of 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM for your local time on Saturday, March 28. Turning off your lights is a way of making a statement about climate change and committing to coming up with solutions for the future.

I suppose they chose an evening time so that you can appreciate the number of turned off lights and maybe see some stars that would otherwise be obscured by city lights.

(You can also move to the boonies if you want to see stars.)

I visited Earth Hour's web site to try to determine the activities that will be happening in Spain, but I had some serious difficulties navigating the site and the possibly relevant information that I did find was (understandably) in Spanish. I guess we'll have to wait and see to determine the fun that we can expect.

I didn't participate in Earth Hour in 2008, and I'm not sure of my level of participation in 2009. At 8:30 on a Saturday night in Spain, I can only hope that I will be out and about and not lounging in my hotel room. If I am in fact lounging, I think that turning off the lights and television would be an appropriate punishment for my lack of motivation, though I suspect the World Wildlife Federation would object on principle to my viewing a lack of electricity during that hour as a punishment.

In any case, rock on, Earth Hour, and I'll do my best to honor you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for promoting Earth Hour! Another way you can recruit people to the cause is by creating a Earth Hour group on Commit21.com. Simply create a group about one action that you will commit to do for Earth Hour and recruit your friends, family, and co-workers to get involved in that action as well. When it comes to climate change, simple actions can make huge differences and Commit21 leverages social media to influence networks of friends, family, and co-workers. Check it out at www.commit21.com