Sunday, March 8, 2009

Holding time in my hands

Daylight savings time and I have a complicated relationship.

On the one hand, I much prefer driving home in sunlight instead of total darkness. Also, my after-work evening feels like it has much more potential with a later sunset. Above-freezing temperatures also help.

On the other hand, losing an hour of your life is really hard! I know that I'm going to get it back in November, but my body doesn't adjust well to time differences and is very confused. And that daylight that was starting to appear at 6 AM when I wake up? No more! Not for a couple months, anyway.

To give myself more time to get acclimated to my extra-early wakeup on Monday morning, I decided to move my clocks ahead on Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning. I wasn't planning to see any movies that day, and I try not to watch a lot of television on weekends, so my living on a different time from the rest of the country for a day was going to be ok. I'd have the added bonus of an extra night to get used to the change.

I have to say, I think I'm on to something here. Springing your clock ahead an hour on a Sunday--already a difficult day, since you're thinking about what you have to do tomorrow--just makes you feel like you're one step closer to working again. But on a Saturday morning? It's much less of a big deal. Saturday is the day that is full of possibilities, and they're still around even after you take an hour out of your day.

My little experiment has been successful, but I think I can take it one step closer. Next year, I'm moving my clocks on Friday evening, and then I'll have 3 nights to get used to the change before I have to go back to work.

Feel free to join me in my little time rebellion. Feeling like you can control time is pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Two Pearls said...

does this work for schedules and deadlines? If so, you might REALLY be on to something...