Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No Mercedes for now

Today on my ride home, as I contemplated my fellow drivers, or rather their vehicles, I wondered about the circumstances that I would have to find myself in to own and drive a Mercedes.

Don't get me wrong--I think Mercedes are sharp-looking vehicles. Their hood ornaments in my rear-view mirror catch my eye, and their safety marks are top-notch. I'm not so sure about their reliability, but maybe when you drive a Mercedes, your third garage bay (because of course you have one, if you drive a Mercedes) is used to store your backup car.

The issue is this: Supposing we did have many hundreds of dollars left over in our budget each month, would we want to spend it on an unreliable luxury car? I do spend a lot of time each day in my car, but I can't complain about the comfort (or, in general, the reliability).

I can think of many other ways that I'd rather spend this hypothetical cash that I don't have. For instance, I am coveting the Benchwright dining table from Pottery Barn and am trying to figure out how I can live my life without it. I think I can, but our current dining table has never looked so inadequate.

Or we could take a vacation with these nonexistent funds. Just think of all of the 5-star hotels that we have not yet slept in, the countries whose passport stamps we have not yet acquired, and the languages we have not yet learned.

Don't even get me started on shopping--but with a Mercedes-sized clothing budget, I would have serious storage issues in my closet.

Maybe if B wins this lottery that he keeps promising me, we can re-examine the Mercedes issue again.

No comments: