Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another step closer to plastic free

It's possible that I'm paranoid about certain health matters.

For instance, take plastic. I've read lots of reports lately about how certain types of plastic are potentially bad for you--really bad. If you heat some plastics to high temperatures (a side effect of microwaving them or putting them in the dishwasher), they leach chemicals into your food.

Last year, I replaced my plastic water bottle with a metal bottle. I don't feel any healthier, but maybe I am.

There was still plastic in my life, though, in the form of easily disposable lightweight food containers. They're cheap and convenient, and when your leftovers have been sitting in the fridge for several weeks and you're terrified of cleaning them out, you can just throw them away and move on.

Every time I pop one of those containers into the microwave at work, I worry about what else I'm eating with my leftovers. I decided it was time for a change.

Today, we bought glass containers, which we will use for storing all of our food going forward. They have plastic tops, but I think we'll be ok as long as we don't microwave them or put them in the dishwasher. We're going to either recycle or donate our plastic containers. There's a part of me that feels bad about donating potentially dangerous plastic containers, but they're safe enough as long as they're not used for storing food.

We rewarded ourselves for our healthy decision with a dinner at, of all places, Burger King. The only other options were seafood restaurants--and BK beats fish any day.

2 comments:

Andrea Cummings said...

Mel...did you get the fantastic ones from Crate & Barrel? I just got some and LOVE them! I too have been trying to become "plastic free" but you know...step by step. If money grew on trees I'd be free by now, but I think all the money lately has dug holes and is hiding somewhere. :)

M said...

Oooh I just saw the ones from C&B--those are fab! We got ours from a Corning Revere outlet, but the C&B prices look comparable. I'll definitely check them out the next time we're at the mall.