Monday, January 19, 2009

Wait a minute...I'm on Facebook...?

I recently found myself an accidental member of the Facebook community, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The hosts on the Cosmo Radio morning show are always talking about their Facebook page, so I was interested in seeing it. I had to type my name and email address to see it on the Facebook site but didn't think it was a big deal.

As it turned out, the Cosmo Radio page was nothing to write home about, so I closed it soon and moved on and forgot about Facebook.

But then a week or so later, I got an email from Facebook saying that someone had asked to "friend" me. Heh? Apparently when I entered my name and email address, I created an account and a page and allowed people to search for me.

And then I had a friend in the Facebook world.

The situation worsened a week later when someone else discovered me and friended me. All of a sudden, I was on Facebook, and I had multiple friends!

I decided that since the secret was out, I might as well commit to Facebook. So many of my friends have pages that it's sort of ridiculous that I don't. And you can lock down your page so that only your "friends" can see you, so there is a measure of privacy.

So I'm on Facebook now, and my friend count is pitiful, so if you want to find me and make me feel like less of a recluse, feel free to friend me, and I will do my best to put something worthwhile on my page.

Though I do have to say that maintaining a Facebook world seems like a high-maintenance commitment, and I'm not sure if I'm prepared for it, so please keep your expectations low.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for my role in forcing you into the Facebook world.

The privacy features are helpful. Not sure if you've already figured this out or been told, but you can alter the privacy settings even further -- to control which friends can view which portions of your page. :)

Two Pearls said...

Yes, privacy is important. And it takes a while to figure out who can see what under what circumstances. But I'll friend you anyway !!!!