Monday, January 12, 2009

More! Bigger! Better!

Although I believe in resolutions, whether in honor of a new year or for no specific occasion, I have not yet scripted my own for 2009, no doubt due to a mix of procrastination and a resistance to change. Change is good but not always easy.

Regardless--one resolution comes to mind, and writing it down and publishing it for the world seems like the right thing to do. Perhaps "world" is an overstatement. More accurately, publish it for a cross-section of humanity, those who happen upon my little corner while searching for ways to avoid being served with court papers or looking for inspiration for putting sticks in vases for their weddings (two of the biggest searches that lead to AOBTD).

Here's a recommendation for a new year's resolution: Don't looks for ways to avoid being served court papers. But do make your wedding centerpieces--or any centerpieces--using sticks.

Anyway. Off my soapbox, back to my own life. My first resolution for 2009 is to blog more. And because goals have to be realistic, specific, and attainable, I resolve to post at least 150 posts in 2009, a 50% increase over 2007 and 2008. According to my useful computer calculator, I need to produce 12.5 posts per month to achieve my goal. Past months have seen me fall way short of my goal, except for both Julys, which seem to be prolific months for blogging (maybe all of that daylight?).

Blogging is important to me because I believe that creating a written account of one's life is necessary. However, my blog is not my only written account of my life--B and I keep a journal-type of book in which we write each night before going to bed. The book is less a place to record our Deepest Darkest Secrets and more of a play-by-play of our lives--what we did each day, what we cooked for dinner, what's going on in the world, and what's going through our heads. There's no pressure to write inspiring prose--I write a few sentences and then pass the book to B, and it's finished in 10 minutes or less. We started last April and have found that it's a great way to end the day. And it's fun to look back and read what we wrote.

We also keep a journal while we're vacationing. We record everything that we do each day so that we can relive our vacation memories any time we want. It's time consuming while we're doing it but so worth it when we come home.

And so one more resolution--does it count as a resolution if it's simply to continue doing what you're doing?--is to keep writing in our journals, while we're home and away.

No comments: