Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bargain season for shoppers

Today we scored big time, in a supreme planning-ahead-for-the-foreseeable-future kind of way. The Hallmark store near us had a 75% sale on all Christmas items, and we picked up probably 10 boxes, with between 12 and 18 cards per box. We don't send that many Christmas cards each year, but they were so cheap--how could we resist? This supply should last several years.

We also picked up a few ornaments from Pier 1 because I love ornaments that come in their own decorative and functional packaging. It makes storage so much easier. Their 75% off sale made the purchases easier on the budget.

It's been a week of sales shopping. Anthropologie's sale allowed me to buy some Merry-Christmas-to-me gifts, and Lucy's 50% off all sales items stretched a holiday gift card to the limits (more clothes for Spain!).

The sales extend to travel, too. Fly open jaw, to Dublin and from London, in August, for under $700? Shocking, but true. I resisted buying; I'm holding out for a better deal (and carefully watching exchange rates).

It's bargain season--I don't know if we'll see any 75% off travel sale, but you can bet that I'm on the lookout.

1 comment:

Two Pearls said...

I have been quite the bargain shopper over the last few weeks too - remind me to tell you about my trip to the LLBean outlet, where I bought about $500 worth of retail-priced stuff for $3.45. Yep, that's right! Gotta love those discount coupons on top of big sales.