Friday, January 23, 2009

Imelda Marcos, eat your heart out

Some women really like handbags. Others get down with shoes. As for me, I go ga-ga over coats.

Long coats, short coats, warm coats, stylish coats--I love them all. During nearly every movie we watch, I notice a stylish number and lean over to B and whisper, "I like that coat!" Some movies feature multiple gold strikes. For instance, next time you watch The Holiday, be sure you pay attention to Cameron Diaz's coat collection--divine.

My coat collection, while not quite as fabulous as Cameron's, is perfect for my needs, and I think it might be time to branch out into other accessories--namely, shoes.

You might recall that last year I vowed to buy only clothing that I love, and my resolution has been a resounding success--for my clothing. My feet are somewhat less well attired.

My shoe collection is ok, but it could use some improvement. For instance, why do I still own plastic flip flops... And those black patent-leather kitten heels that I scratched the first time I wore them (casualties of a company holiday party)--even if an occasion involves a darkened room in which people are less likely to notice the damage, scratched shoes do not belong on my feet. I have higher standards than that. Or ought to, anyway.

It's time to cull the shoe herd and start buying shoes that I love. Maybe in the other order, though--it'd be a shame to throw out shoes and have nothing to wear. Wearing damaged goods is better than going barefoot.

I started improving my shoe collection last week when I had a shoe emergency. I needed shoes to go with a navy dress for--you guessed it--a company party. The winner, a pair of reddish/purplish (depending on the light) 2" patent-leather pumps, comfortable and unlike any shoe I've ever owned, came home with me.

And so did a pair of knee-high black suede/patent leather boots that called out to me from the clearance rack. I spent a week in Germany watching stylish European women walk around with their knee-high boots on the outside of their skinny jeans--I had to get in on that trend. I skipped the skinny jeans, of course--heroin chic isn't a great look on me.

No comments: