Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Congrats on your engagement - now face your mortality

An engagement is a milestone to celebrate, but I'm learning that it's also a time to start planning for a future other than your own. In other words, it's a time to face your mortality--and plan for it.

Morbid? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely. Following the there-are-only-two certainties-in-life rule, it's never too early to plan for the future. I'm not advocating buying real estate in the nearby cemetary, but there are a few steps that I need to do to get all of my ducks in a row.

For example, today I passed in paperwork to designate Ben as the primary beneficiary for my 401k account. Before we get married, I plan to roll over the 401k account from my last company into my current account (just to simplify things).

Then there is the matter of wills. Neither of us has a will, but I plan to correct that issue soon. You can buy do-it-yourself will-making software, and it will be sufficient for our purposes. We also have to figure out if it's necessary (and if so, how to do it) to add my name to the title of the condo.

I guess we've avoided these adult responsibilities long enough--they won't be fun, but they will provide peace of mind to both of us, and that's what we're going for.