Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My unveiling

Usually, people understand when you decide to skip certain wedding traditions. For example, no one has fallen down crying when I explain that I am not tossing my bouquet. I don't want to put any of my single female friends in a position where they feel like their romantic status is being put on display or questioned. It's hard enough going to events solo--announcing to the whole room that you're alone is way worse.

So there will be no bouquet toss. And obviously there won't be anything garter-related--I've never worn a garter in my life, and my wedding day seems like an inopportune time to don what looks like a rather uncomfortable and purposeless cloth-covered rubber band on my leg.

No one is putting up any arguments to include the bouquet toss and the garter...whatever that tradition is...but the veil seems to be a bit more touchy. Even the women in the bridal shop were horrified that I wasn't planning to wear a veil. "Just wear a small one," they said. "It doesn't have to cover your face--just something to wear in your hair." Apparently, a bride isn't a bride unless she's wearing a veil.

I did some research online, and the website I consulted said that a veil denotes the subordination of a woman to a man, and the lifting of the veil symbolizes male dominance. Eh-heh. If the bride takes the initiative in lifting the veil, she is showing more independence. (More independence than what, one is prompted to ask. More independence than a lowly subordinate female? Or is it an official declaration of equality? This symbolism mumbo-jumbo isn't working for me.)

I haven't tried on any veils, so I can't say for certain that I am anti-veil for myself, but I am definitely opposed to the theory behind the tradition. Wearing a non-functioning veil (one that hangs down your back and doesn't even cover your face) is as close to being a clothing knick-knack as you can get.

And we all know how I feel about knick-knacks.

No comments: