Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Yes, M, you will have a wedding gown

I started getting antsy about my wedding gown recently, and more specifically, when my wedding gown would arrive at the store (and would it arrive in time for the necessary alterations).

I ordered it about 3 months ago and have almost forgotten what it looks like. Our dance instructor asked how wide the skirt was (because that's a concern when you're dancing--you don't want it to be stepped on), and I couldn't remember. Sad.

Here's what I do remember: It's white. It's strapless. It has about an inch of beading on the top, and the beading continues down the back, which is corset style (I'm picturing a Scarlett O'Hara scene when I'm getting dressed--just find me a bed post, and a 22" waist will be mine!). The waist has some rouching on the left side. That's about all I remember. Oh, except that the ladies at the wedding gown store measured my hips 3 times because they didn't think that someone with a size-4 torso would also have size-10 hips. Sadder.

So the gown is going to require some alterations. I have already decided that I will wear whatever size heel is necessary to guarantee that I won't have to have the hem taken up because for some reason, hem alterations are the most expensive. Unfortunately, my tried-and-true duct tape hemming method probably isn't acceptable for a wedding gown. Although you can buy white duct tape...

Anyway, I called the bridal shop yesterday, and the shop called the dress manufacturer, and my dress is almost finished! It will be shipping shortly (I think from China--how long do you suppose it takes a dress to travel from China? Only time will tell...), and they said it will likely arrive before its projected arrival date of August 1. Phew.

So yes, I will have a dress. And it will be white and perfect. I hope. :)

No comments: