Friday, July 20, 2007

Wedding dreams

During the first few weeks after B and I got engaged, my nights were characterized by crazy, ridiculous, stressful wedding dreams. I was late to the ceremony. I forgot to eat breakfast. The limo (hello, we're not even getting a limo) broke down. It was, quite simply, nightmarish.

Those first few weeks were the most stressful from a planning perspective, and eventually I calmed down and most of the dreams went away. They still return on occasion, though.

This week, I dreamt that I went to a salon for my trial hair and make-up appointment. The whole point of the trial run is to prevent hair and make-up nightmares from becoming a reality on the big day. But apparently it's been something that has me concerned because sure enough, my stress came out in full force in my dream.

The saddest part of the situation is that in hindsight, the dream wasn't that bad at all. The woman who did my make-up didn't do a good job, and I ended up looking like myself but with a lot of black eyeliner around my eyes. But it felt catastrophic at the time, and I'm pretty certain that I told the woman (in my dream) that she hadn't made me pretty enough. (Yes, I am ducking in embarassment right now.)

Unfortunately for him, B has also been bitten by the bad-wedding-dream bug, and this week he dreamt that he was late for the ceremony. He did point out, however, that he did make it, so the dream technically had a happy ending. My wedding dreams don't have a happy ending, unless you consider the dream ending a happy ending (and it is, though not in any kind of a satisfying way).

Maybe it's like that old theater adage--bad rehearsal, good opening (or whatever it is). Stressful wedding dreams, fabulous wedding day?