Sunday, July 15, 2007

A packed honeymoon itin

Last night, B and I watched the France edition of the Europe to the Max travel series with host Rudy Maxa. I think there might be a requirement that all travel documentaries feature bad music, and this documentary was certainly not the exception to that rule, but it had lovely cinematography, and I felt like I was in France for 2 hours. The documentary got us both very excited about our trip.

Our itinerary is complete, though I'm sure we'll make changes to it as necessary when we're in France, depending on weather and our moods and any number of other factors. While in Paris, we're doing day trips to the Loire Valley, the Champagne region, Versailles, and maybe Disneyland Paris. While in Nice, we're doing day trips to Monaco, Provence, Biot (a town that makes bubbled glass--what lovely souvenirs to bring home and use every day and remember your honeymoon), Antibes (though if we're carrying a set of glasses, we might have to skip this), and Cannes (maybe--the travel books don't go overboard with praise for this town, so it might be skippable).

We're going to try to visit the major museums and other tourist attractions in each city, but I would rather see Paris from the streets than inside a climate-controlled vault, so I'm ok with keeping our museum visits to a minimum. I just want to walk around and take lots of pictures and try to experience as much of the city as we can.

I recently read an article that said that French winemakers are concerned about this year's harvest. Apparently, it's been raining almost nonstop since April, and the grape vines are growing mold. How sad! On the positive side, it can't rain for 6 months straight, so maybe we can look forward to dryer weather during our stay.

No comments: