Monday, August 20, 2007

Putting away the spray paint (for now)

Everyone said that the seating arrangement was going to be the most difficult aspect of the wedding, but the seating arrangement is a close second to my shoe problems.

A few weeks ago, I bought tan ballroom shoes online with the intention of making them work--somehow. If contestants on "Project Runway" can turn ears of corn into haute couture, I figured I could do something with tan shoes.

Unfortunately, the shoe company sent me a wide size, and it just didn't work (my feet aren't small, but they're narrow). I also was having second thoughts about wearing spraypainted shoes at my wedding. I'm all for being crafty and homemade, but spraypainted shoes were too "What Not To Wear" for my tastes.

I decided to make one last trip to the mall last night before resigning myself to the status of too-crafty bride. I went in every shoe store and was overwhelmed with ballet slipper options but underwhelmed with kitten-heel options. All summer shoes were on sale, but the sale status also meant that the size options were limited.

I was preparing myself mentally for an inappropriate shoe--patent leather (don't tell Miss Manners!) or dark silver or blue or who knows what, anything with the right-sized heel, when I found the winner at Lord & Taylor.

The shoes are white with some fun designs and 2" heels--higher than I should get, but it's too late to be choosy. The shoes are comfortable, or at least they were in the store. The true test is this week's dress fitting--if the dress tailor says the shoes will work, I will start the breaking-in process and hope for the best.